The ProjectCo-creating Misinformation Resilient Societies.
Co-Inform is an EU-funded project involving top universities and SMEs in 7 European countries. The objective is to create tools to foster critical thinking and digital literacy for a better-informed society. These tools will be designed and tested with policymakers, journalists, and citizens in 3 different EU countries.
What is Co-Creation?
Co-creation is the most adequate method for achieving the right equilibrium between actors and types of solutions against misinformation. By promoting this method, governments have the possibility to promote the interaction between researchers, journalists, private sector, non-profit sector and citizens with minimal intervention.
The name is the result of the combination of two words:
Meaning a cooperative endeavour between different stakeholders
As our focus is on how information is shared online
Co-Inform mission is to foster critical thinking and digital literacy.
People need to be aware of the consequences that misinformation has on democracy and how much it affects their lives. The aim is to foster informed and engaged communities, which constitute the foundations of a healthy democracy and together find a solution to misinformation.
The aim of Co-Inform is to co-create these solutions with citizens, journalists and policy-makers for:
- Detecting and combating a variety of misinforming posts and articles on social media;
- Supporting, persuading and nourishing misinformation-resilient behaviour;
- Bridging between the public on social media, external fact-checking journalists, and policy-makers;
- Understanding and predicting which misinforming news and contents are likely to spread across which parts of the network and demographic sectors;
- Infiltrating echo-chambers on social media to expose confirmation-biased networks to different perceptions and corrective information; and
- Providing policy-makers with advanced misinformation analysis to support their policy-making processes and validation.
To achieve the aims of Co-Inform, the consortium will foster co-creational methodologies and practices for engaging stakeholders in combating misinformation posts and news articles, and persuading them to adopt more informed behaviours and perceptions. This process will be assisted by advanced intelligent methods for misinformation detection, misinformation flow prediction, and real-time processing and measurement of crowds’ acceptance or regular of misinformation.
- A browser plugin to raise citizens’ awareness of fully or partially misinforming content, of related fact-checking articles and corrective information, of average citizens’ perceptions towards this content, and of key pro and against comment from fellow citizens.
- A dashboard for fact-checking journalists and policy-makers, showing what misinformation is detected, where it originates from, how and where it spreads and will spread in the near future, what’s the current and predictable public perception, and what are the key comments about it from the public.
Subscribe to our newsletter
Get our latest project updates, news and events announcements first!
Co-inform project is co-funded by Horizon 2020 – the Framework Programme for Research and Innovation (2014-2020)
H2020-SC6-CO-CREATION-2016-2017 (CO-CREATION FOR GROWTH AND INCLUSION)
Type of action: RIA (Research and Innovation action)
Proposal number: 770302